Investments Opportunities in Sudan
Total arable land is about 200 million feddan (one feddan =4200sqm)
and only 30 million feddan is cultivated.
Investment in agriculture fields is welcomed in the following:
- Wheat production
- Sorghum (Dura)
- Oil seeds (sesame, groundnut, and sunflower).
- Fruits (mango, banana, juava, lemon, strawberry, pineapple (ananans), grapefruit.
- Vegetable (tomato, greenbeans, akra, cucumber, potatoes, onion, garlic, spices, legumes, lentils).
- Beekeeping to produce honey
- Organic fruits and vegetable (alluvial soil along the Nile Banks and deltas of Wadi Toker, El Gash etc)
50 million feddan of pasture land in addition to crop residue and oil-cakes make cost of feeding very cheap. 106 million heads of cattle, sheep, goats and camels producing only 3 million tons of meat. Also Sudan is very rich in wildlife and there are investment opportunities for modern farms for ostriches, antelopes, crocodiles etc.
Investment in livestock is welcomed in:
- Modern farm to fatten cattle, sheep, goats and camels and to produce meat, milk, wool etc.
- Slaughter houses to export meat.
- Milk factories to provide fresh milk, milk products for local consumption and export.
- Investment in transport facilities for live animal and refrigerated means for meat and milk products.
- Fisheries (Nile Perch) in the Nile, Lake Nubia Red Sea Poultry.
- Animal fodder
- Drugs and vaccines.
- Improvement of quality of the natural herds by introducing new breeds to improve milk and meat production.
Sudan has vast mineral deposits that have not been exploited; mineral deposits which are discovered in different parts of the country are waiting for local and foreign investors which include:
- Silver, iron ore, chromate, mica, silica, gypsum, granite, marble, chinaclay, manganese, asbestos, trauna (costic soda), talc and lime stone, copper, zink, lead, cement.
- Small quantities of mica, chromate, asbestos and marble are exported .
One of the bottlenecks in Sudan is shortage of energy especially electricity. River Nile with many cataracts and waterfalls, strong winds, agricultural by-products, sun, forests, all these sources give excellent opportunity for investment in those areas:
- Petrol and gas production
- Hydro-electric projects (micro, small and large)
- Solar energy for lightning and heating
- Wind power for irrigation
- Water turbines for irrigation from the Nile
- Charcoal from agricultural by-products
Fields for investment in industry in the Sudan
- Joint-ventures in rehabilitation of edible oil mills, leather industry, textiles…
- New sugar factories.
- Oil productions (petrol and gas).
- Fertilizers: urea (demand 500000 tons)
- Tomato paste and syrup (9 months tomato season).
- Fruit juice and concentrate, dried fruits, mango, guava, lemon, grapes, papaya, dates, strawberry and pineapples.
- Yeast (from sugar by-product, dates)
- Leather products.
- Spray dry gum Arabic .
- Packing industry, cardboard, plastic glass and sack for grains.
- Paper industry, from dates tree, agricultural by-products and forests.
- Compressed earth brick machines.
- Pharmaceutical products and medical equipment.